Dr. Randy Crowell offers sedation options for patients who experience anxiety about visiting the dentist.
Why do people fear the dentist?
Dental anxiety and fear can become overwhelming. Many Canadians do not visit the dental office at all because they are too afraid.
However, receiving regular dental check ups and cleanings is very important. Having regular routine check ups is the easiest way to maintain excellent oral hygiene and reduce the need for more complex treatments.
At Crowell Dental Group, we offer a variety of sedation options to help you manage your anxiety about dental treatment.
Reasons People Fear the Dentist:
- Fear of embarrassment about the condition of teeth
- Fear of gagging
- Fear of injections
- Fear of loss of control
- Fear of not becoming numb when injected with dental freezing
- Fear of pain
- Fear of the dentist as a person
- Fear of the hand piece (or the drill)
Some tips to help reduce dental fear & anxiety:
- Talk to your dentist about your concerns
- Agree on a signal to stop treatment if you begin to feel uncomfortable
- Choose a form of sedation
Sedation Options at Crowell Dental Group
Intravenous sedation is a moderate type of sedation.
IV sedation is administered via direct injection into the bloodstream, which means the effects are immediate.
Sometimes patients feel groggy and sleepy when the IV sedatives are withdrawn. This is why it is important to bring a designated driver for the drive home.